Monday, September 12, 2011

Mark Twain

We've all heard of the guy, right?  You probably know he's that guy who wrote The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  You might even know that Mark Twain is a pen name for Samuel Clemens

I myself have read the condensed versions of both previously mentioned books, seen the Wishbone episodes, and watched the movie Tom and Huck featuring Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Brad Renfro.  I however was not aware that there were four books written about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn along with at least three more unfinished books.  I happened to buy one of the three yesterday!

The unfinished manuscript for Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer Among the Indians was published in Life Magazine in 1968.  Then college student Lee Nelson read the story.  Then in 2002, while watching a PBS documentary on Mark Twain, he remembered the long forgotten story.  Nelson decided to finish Twain's book...and that is what I bought. 

Nelson chose to leave Twain's work as is, even though it was an unedited rough draft and wrote the book's middle and ending in a style to match Twain's writings.  I'm excited to read the book!  I think it will be interesting to see how the Twain's and Nelson's writing fits together to tell one story.

No comments:

Post a Comment